Yeşim Altan - 1

Some people think that it is best for extended families to live together. Other people think that it is best for the nuclear family to live away from the extended family. Which type of family arrangement do you think is the most beneficial?”

Use specific reasons to support your response.


Most people realize how our lives are affected by our family types. No doubt, our family is not our own choice because we can not select the family we are born in. There are generally two family types which are categorized as extended familes and nuclear families. From my standpoint, living in a nuclear family could be far more beneficial than the extended one. The following essay intends to explore the reasons to support this idea.

First and foremost, the nuclear family provides more wide personal space in the house for family members. Specially, children and young members of the family are in need of privacy more than others. I would like to get help from my own life to open this subject. I am living in a nuclear family and whenever we put up our relatives in our house for a few days, I feel really restricted. It is because my personal space is becoming narrow. Every single time, when I find myself in these kinds of situations, I say to myself how lucky I am to live in a nuclear family. As a consequence, living in the family, which is formed by parents and children only, allow us more comfort zone in our living space.

Secondly, living in the nuclear family let us establish healthy communication in the house. It is true that an extended family may have more funny conversations; yet, when a crisis occurs within the house, the extended family can probably make this situation more complicated. To provide a sense on this subject, I am willing to give an instance. Long time ago, we had a next-door neigbour who constituted an extended family and had a child who had to attend the college at that time. Their child had hard times because the all family put pressure on her. From this story, we can easily draw the conclusion that these kinds of hardships generally end up with the desire of every single member of the extended family to come up with some sensible pieces of advice. In contrast to this family, during the years when while I attended the university, I and my parents had pretty effective communication because we had a nuclear family and there was no one to put pressure on me except my parents.

All in all, it is not possible to pick up our family types and undoubtly, we have to learn how to live together in our family, whether it is a nuclear family or an extended one. From my perspective, a nuclear family is more beneficial than an extended one, in terms of having more personal space and being able to build a healthy communication among family members. As a result, it is clear that if I need to make up my mind about my future family, I definitely choose to have a nuclear family.



Comments